The Writing Desk

The Large Teenage Writer's Desk

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

The guitar solo

Go down 
AuthorMessage
foaf.scribble
Mod in a tam 'o shanter
Mod in a tam 'o shanter

Female Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2006-08-11

PostSubject: The guitar solo   Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:15 pm

i wrote this story a while back but ive never shown it to anyone so comments and suggestions for improvements are very much welcome :]

The guitar solo made her heart race faster and faster, fast enough to kill her but kept her so alive she could feel her soul chase round every centimetre of her body. She was alone with two thousand people and a band. Every slam of skin sent shocks of sweat flowing down her body and screams of adoration to the band. Screams that begged for more. Screams that ripped her lungs. She wished she could scream forever, release all the anguish and hate in her system and throw it at the people she loved most in the world. Let them know how much they meant; let them know that their music kept her alive. This concert was all she had hoped for the past months. Every day she escaped the shouts and screams with this same solo. The same quick tempo screeching of love and hate entwined in the strings of an instrument; played by an artist with the skill of a god. Skill that couldn’t be matched. Skill that comes from being one with something, so close and intimate with it that you know its every sound and curve, you know every nook and line and mark and know how to use them to create an unrivalled beauty.

The kids around her didn’t understand. They jumped and moshed and danced to the music flooding from the speaker stacks and knew all the words but didn’t understand the music. They couldn’t close their eyes and block out the whole world, focusing on every note of the song. It wasn’t natural to be so attached to a song that meant so little to others. But she couldn’t imagine how she could live without that attachment. When at school, knowing she could listen to the song in just a few hours was the only thing that kept her going.

But she wasn’t at school now. She wasn’t at home where the shouting and fighting was; she was free. She was wedged between sweaty bodies jumping and shouting with the same desperation as her and she was free; listening to the one thing she needed. Every pulse of sound washed over the crowd and motivated their movement to become a crazed dance of robots.

The song finally came to an end; the squeal of intentional feedback, the symbols finishing their glass shattering climax and the singer letting his voice fade out into the stunned silence of the crowd. Within seconds the place was in chaos; Kids screamed and cheered and flung their bodies towards the stage, trying to congratulate the band for their performance. The girl was one of them, fighting and close to tears with the rest, battling to get closer to the stage, closer to her heroes.

~

She sat exhausted in the car. The seat belt cut into her shoulder and her back and t-shirt stuck to the seat with her sweat. Her hair hung in drab locks around her face and her carefully applied makeup was smeared in grubby trails down her cheeks. She was a mess to see but what couldn’t be seen was focused more than any other mind in the car. From the end of the concert she had been thinking the same thought. Was she living for a song?

Everyday at school was spent envying the other girls with their friends, their boyfriends. They all had lives with safety nets. They walked thick tightropes with dainty shoes and perfect precision. She longed for their skill, their social precision, while she clumped along string the thickness of dental floss and terrified herself with views of the ground below. No safety net for her. She had nothing at school.
Arriving home was a whole new rope. On walking through the door she always knew; always had to relive the feeling of wishing she was back at school.
A new type of music filled the air at home. Everyone in the family had a part in this band. Screams and shouts drowned out her calls of homecoming and immediately she was swept up in the arguments.
“Why are you home so late?”
“Why haven’t you done your job like I asked you to?” the vocals piled on strong while in the background the beat of feet stomping up the stairs set a heavy bass line. A child wailing in the next room was like an un-tuned instrument screaming its protests against an amateur. All the sounds playing at once were too much for anyone to handle, but for a person without a safety net it was someone pushing them off the wire.

Tonight, after the concert, staring out the window of the car at the stars, she decided to fall. She was living for a song. Nothing else in her reality meant anything to her tired mind: her soul was flailing, her eyes were cold and her heart had no hope left inside. It was time to jump.

~

To everyone who doesn’t understand,
To all those people who passed me by. To all those people who never thought. To all those people who will regret the past.
I am free.

Living for one song had not been enough. Living for its rhythm, notes, tune, melody, pace, tempo… it wasn’t enough for her. Wasn’t enough for anyone. This morning her body danced in the breeze; lightened by her new freedom. The rope embraced her like wings; held her feet from the floor in flight, swung her softly in the hum of music lost in the past. Light flooded through the curtains; setting the room ablaze in summer sunlight. The morning rays caught the pools on the floor; a glittery red dance floor for dancing shoes to fly on. She didn’t need a safety net any more; from this rope she could fly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/friendofafake
Admin
Kips (Big Shot/ admin)
Kips (Big Shot/ admin)

Female Number of posts : 146
Writing forte/s : Weird poetry and awful stories!

PostSubject: Re: The guitar solo   Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:22 pm

Wow! I love the descriptions you use, they remind me of Philip Pullman's! This is cool, and I love it to bits! Ok... I'll try to pick it,,, erm... i give up. It rocks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thepoeticteen.dynamicforum.net
foaf.scribble
Mod in a tam 'o shanter
Mod in a tam 'o shanter

PostSubject: Re: The guitar solo   Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:25 pm

haha!
okay wow that is a very exaggerated compliment.
Phillip Pullman is one of my favourite authors so to be compared is just funny lol.
thankyou though :]]]

haha someone pick it apart please! lol

x||x
Back to top Go down
Silent
Mod in a straw hat
Mod in a straw hat

Male Number of posts : 84

PostSubject: Re: The guitar solo   Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:13 am

Surprised humm yer.... F***ing class!!!! i loved the way u managed to combine music with life and the bit about tightropes was cool Razz

again you write amazingly Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.silentex.tk
Admin
Kips (Big Shot/ admin)
Kips (Big Shot/ admin)

Female Number of posts : 146
Writing forte/s : Weird poetry and awful stories!

PostSubject: Re: The guitar solo   Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:41 am

I absaloutly adore Philip Pullman! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thepoeticteen.dynamicforum.net
foaf.scribble
Mod in a tam 'o shanter
Mod in a tam 'o shanter

PostSubject: Re: The guitar solo   Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:29 am

What a Face see look im so flattered my face has dissapeared.

ooh Philip Pullman is one of the best, second only too Malorie Blackman.
Northern Lights is my favourite book though

x||x
Back to top Go down
Silent
Mod in a straw hat
Mod in a straw hat

Male Number of posts : 84

PostSubject: Re: The guitar solo   Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:19 am

we need like a section where we can recommend good books to read and stuff Very Happy ill put that in the idea section.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.silentex.tk
foaf.scribble
Mod in a tam 'o shanter
Mod in a tam 'o shanter

PostSubject: Re: The guitar solo   Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:31 am

done and done :]
x||x

Everyone Can See It But Only You Can Feel Its True Warmth. Thankyou For Being The Piss In My Pants.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The guitar solo   

Back to top Go down

The guitar solo
Page 1 of 1