The Writing Desk

The Large Teenage Writer's Desk

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

The Greatest Night of My Life

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Night
Pencil
Pencil

Female Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2006-08-11

PostSubject: The Greatest Night of My Life   Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:11 pm

Here's everything I have so far.... I'm still working on the ending.... So bear with me....
------------------------------------------------------------
Could this really be happening? I asked myself. The guy I had liked for three years was standing right in front of me. If I had heard him correctly, he had just asked me to dance. I looked wildly around the room thinking that he was talking to someone else. “Me?” I asked stupidly.
He smiled warmly. “Yeah. Do you want to dance?” He looked really cute in his tux with his hands folded behind him. Even though there were many people at this formal dance, I thought that he looked the best.
I swallowed hard. “I can only slow dance.” Before I could say anything else a slow song started. Is this my night or what?
His dark skin made his face hard to read in the dim lights of the plaza ballroom. From what I could tell he was completely serious. “Now you have no choice,” he teased. He put out his hand.
I placed my hand in his and kept my eyes locked on his as I stood. I kept watching him as he led me to the middle of the dance floor.
He placed his right hand on my waist and took my right hand in his left. He looked right into my eyes.
As we began to dance, the rest of the world began to disappear. It felt like we were the only ones in the room.
I looked straight into his dark brown eyes. “Why me?” I knew for a fact that he hadn’t danced at all tonight.
He smiled again, making me just about melt in his arms. He placed his right hand in the small of my back and pulled me closer. “I know,” he whispered in my ear.
I looked at him confused. But I knew what he meant after a minute. I glanced over at his sister standing near the punch bowl talking to a group of guys.
“She didn’t tell me.” He pulled me even closer. “I know because…” He paused. “I’ve liked you for years, too.”
I leaned my head against his shoulder. Tears stung my eyes. “All those times I spent time with you made it harder every minute.” I sniffled. “Every second I wondered if you would ever have the same feelings for me as I did you.”
He pulled away. “Come with me.” He led me outside.
The music was loud so I could hear it when we sat down on a bench.
“I often had the same feelings. Now I don’t have to.” He put his strong hands around my arms and pulled me towards him. Having a light blue, spaghetti strap dress on, his hands felt warm on my arms in the cool night air. Before I could do anything, he pressed his lips against mine and wrapped his arms around me.
Over come by emotion, I wrapped my arms around him and pushed into his kiss. When I pulled away, tears streamed down my face. I hugged him tightly. “I wanted that for so long, Ryan!”
“So did I,” he whispered in my ear. He stood up and held out his hand.
I took his hand and stood.
We danced under the stars to the song that had just started.
I put my arms around his neck and looked into his eyes. I didn’t want to let go.
Apparently he wasn’t going to either. He lowered his head and kissed me again.
I ran my hands over his short, curly black hair.
A set of footsteps approached us, followed by another.
We both turned to see his sister with her best friend.
“Aw, looked at them. They finally found each other.” His sister giggled.
“I wondered how long it would take them,” her friend said. “Apparently a few years.”
He gave them both a warning look that sent them away giggling to themselves. “Where were we?” He smiled.
“Right about here.” I pulled him to me and kissed his lips.
Even though the song had long since ended, we continued to dance. His touch and his kiss made the world disappear and all I cared about was never letting him go.
It wasn’t until everyone started to leave, that we stopped kissing and said good-bye. I drove home in a daze. My mom met me at the door.
“Have a nice time at the party, dear?”
“Yes,” I said absently.
“Oh, really? What happened?”
I smiled to myself. “Oh, nothing truly exciting.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next day when we were at a local café, my best friend pounced. “So, where did you guys disappear to during the party?”
I looked at her innocently from where I was leaning over a counter working on a poem. “What are you talking about?”
“Oh, come on! Don’t give me that!” She smiled. “I saw that you two disappeared after you danced.”
“What two?” I continued to try to hide it.
She rolled her eyes and flipped her brown hair back. “So, did you kiss?”
I slammed down my pencil, making my coffee cup bounce on the table, and looked at her disgustedly. “Liana! That is none of your business!”
“AHA! So you were with him!”
I rolled my eyes. “So what if I was. Nothing happened.”
“You’re going to hide it from your best friend?”
I sighed. “We danced under the stars, admitted our undying passion for each other, and kissed. Okay? Happy now?”
She grinned at her victory. “Yes. I was beginning to think you were doing something you shouldn’t have been doing.”
I gave her an offensive look. “How could you think such a thing? You should know me a lot better than that!”
She took a sip of her coffee. “When you disappeared last night, I was beginning to wonder if I was wrong about you.”
“If you tell anyone what I told you, I swear…” I made a slicing motion across my throat.
“Okay, okay! I get it! Don’t tell anyone!”
I went back to working on the poem. “If it tells you anything, I didn’t tell my mom.”
Her green eyes twinkled with excitement. “Sounds like you have something to hide.”
I picked up my stuff and stood up. “That’s it! I’m leaving.”
“Why? Do you?”
I glared at her. I felt the blood rush to my face and my steel-blue eyes went dark. “I’m not going to sit here and be accused of doing something that I wasn’t. I’m not like that and he’s not that kind of guy.” I flipped my blond hair over my shoulder and headed for the door.
She grabbed my arm.
I half turned to shrug her off. When I turned back I ran right into someone. I looked up from where I fell to the floor.
Ryan stood over me smiling. He grabbed my hands and helped me to my feet. “Sorry, hun.”
I blushed. He had never called me hun before. “That’s okay.” I grabbed his hand and dragged him out the door.
“What’s going on?”
“I’m trying to get away from Liana. She’s being dumb.”
He looked confused when I stopped him outside the café wall, out of sight of the costumers. More to the point, Liana. “Isn’t she like your best friend?”
“She’s accusing me of doing something with you last night that I never did.” I looked at him pleadingly. “Can you do something for me?”
He nodded slowly.
I hesitated. “Ryan.... Can you....”
“Come on. Just tell me,” he said lovingly.
“I want... I want you to tell me... that you'll wait...”
“For what?”
My heart sped up. I didn’t want to say it. Especially when I was standing outside a café on a busy street.
He eyebrows rose. “Oh! That!” He leaned down and kissed my cheek. “Of course I will.”
I wrapped my arms around him and pushed my head against his chest. I felt safe in his arms. “I love you, Ryan,” I whispered.
He kissed the top of my head. “I love you, too.”
I pulled away and looked into his eyes. “Do you really?”
He smiled. “More than anything in the world.” He bent his head down and pressed his lips to mine.
I wrapped my arms around his neck and pushed into him. I didn’t care if anyone saw. Not even if Liana saw. Was it so wrong to show affection to someone on a busy street? I continued to make out with him even when Liana walked past. All I care about was feeling safe in Ryan’s arms and having him pull me closer.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
“Can you come in here?” my mom called from the living room when I walked in the door. “Thank you very much,” she said into the phone. She hung up and turned to me. “Want to tell me what you’ve been keeping from me?”
I gave her a confused look. “What are you talking about?”
My mom folded her hands in her lap. “I just got a call from Mrs. Robertson. She said that she saw you with Ryan this afternoon.”
“I hate living in a small town,” I muttered to myself. I glared at the phone. “What right does Mrs. Robertson have to get into my personal life?!”
My mom looked unfazed by this. “Never mind Mrs. Robinson. She’s an elderly, unhappy woman with a big nose. She said you were kissing him.”
“Mom! This is the 21st century! It’s called making out!”
“So, you’re admitting you were kissing him?”
I groaned. “What difference does it make?”
She stood up and stepped towards me. “I want to protect you. And I’m not very keen on you keeping things from me.”
“Protect me? Protect me from what? Love?”
“Well, now a days young girls just like you are getting--”
I put up my hands. “NO! Mom! Just stop! I’m not going to get pregnant! I just talked to Ryan about that today and he said he would wait.”
“Wait? How long?”
My face grew hot and I felt my eyes grow dark again. “I can’t believe I’m having this conversation with my mother!”
“Honey, I--” She went to place a hand on my shoulder.
I shrugged her away and bolted out the door. I ran as fast as I could even though I had no idea where I was going.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Two hours later I was sitting at the counter in a small deli, fiddling with a ketchup bottle. I can’t believe this is happening to me. Why does she constantly feel the need to ruin all the good things that happen in my life? I rested my elbows on the counter and put my head in my hands.
“You gonna order something?” a young waitress asked as she past me.
I shook my head and crossed my arms across the counter. I didn’t even look up at her as tears filled my eyes.
“Lee?” the waitress said.
I looked up in surprise. How did she know my name? “Huh?”
“You’re Lee Freeman, aren’t you?”
I looked around. “Do I know you?”
She smiled. “I’m in your math class.”
My heart flipped. “Oh! Of course! You’re…. You’re….” I felt like such an idiot.
She laughed. “Lisa.”
I put my head in my hands again. “My day just keeps getting better and better.”
Lisa leaned against the counter. “What’s wrong?”
I laughed. “You really don’t want to know.”
She raised an eyebrow at me.
“Okay.” I explained everything to her.
She remained expressionless. “You have some pretty bad luck, don’t you?”
“Don’t remind me. What am I suppose to do?”
She shook her head. “You’re asking the wrong girl.”
“Oh.” I looked down at the ketchup bottle. “I’m probably going to just ignore my mom and just date Ryan.”
“Did you ever think that she might be right?” She set down a cup of coffee in front of me.
Absently, I set down money for the coffee even though I didn’t even want it. “I don’t know. I don’t want her to be though.”
The door to the deli opened and a tall police officer walked in. “Hi, Lisa!” he called.
I felt myself relax. I had seriously thought he had come in for me.
“Lee Freeman?”
My chest tightened. Shoot! He did come in for me! I slowly turned to him. “Yes?” I said in a trembling voice.
“Can you come with me?” He motioned toward the door.
My eyes grew wide. “What did I do?”
He shook his head. “You didn’t do anything. Your mother is looking for you.”
I sighed and followed him out to the police cruiser.
As soon as I walked in the house my mom pounced on me. “Oh! Thank goodness you’re okay! I was so worried!” She wrapped her arms around me.
I shrugged her off. “I was gone for a couple hours! I’m fine!”
The officer tipped his cap and left to leave us for our “joyful” reunion.
I flopped down on the couch and turned on the TV like nothing had happened.
My mom walked over and turned in off. “Are we going to talk about it?”
“About what?” I turned the TV on again.
She turned it off and stood in front of it. “You know exactly what I’m talking about.”
“You can’t say it? You can’t say, ‘are we going to talk about you dating Ryan?’”
She sat down next to me. “I’m just worried. You know how things turned out with your brother.”
“Mom! I’m not going to turn out like him! I’m me! I’m not like him!”
“You say that now.”
“Mom… Ryan is a sweet, caring, loving guy. He wouldn’t do anything to hurt me.” I stood up and started to walk away.
“Why do you do that? Why do you walk away the minute we start to talk?”
I turned at looked at her. “I don’t want to talk about it.” I walked up the stairs before she could say anything. I went into my room and slam the door. As soon as I laid down on my bed the tears started to fall. It seemed like the fairy tale life I had just started to live was crashing down around me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Night
Pencil
Pencil

Female Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: And more....   Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:12 pm

A couple hours later, there was a knock on my door. My mother’s head popped around the side of the door.
“Lee?”
“I don’t want to talk to you,” I snapped.
She sat down on the edge of my bed. “There’s someone her to see you.”
I turned to her and glared. “Who?”
She got up and started to walk out the door. “Why don’t you come downstairs and find out.”
I stood up and followed her downstairs. My eyes widen as I saw Ryan standing by the door. I ran past my mom and into his arms. I didn’t care that my mom was watching. I planted a kiss right on his lips and held them there.
He pushed back on my kiss. When we broke the kiss he stood back and looked me up and down. “You’d think you’d hadn’t seen me in days, not a few hours!”
“I’ve missed you.”
My mother cleared her throat. “Are you staying for dinner, Ryan?”
“Um, actually, Mrs. Freeman, I was hoping to take Lee out to dinner.” He looked pleadingly at her.
Without any hesitation she nodded and left the room.
I looked at her leaving and then at Ryan. “Did I miss something?”
Ryan smiled. “We just had a little talk.” He grabbed my hand. “Come on. I have a reservation at Roleau’s.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------
“Roleau’s?!” Liana exclaimed the next day in chemistry. “That’s like the hardest place to get into!”
I was into much of a daze to really pay any attention to her. I was normal enough to tell her that I went there with him last night and then I started to daydream.
“Lee? Are you even listening to me?” she waved her hand in front of my face.
I shook my head. “I’m sorry. What?”
“I asked what you guys did last night at dinner.”
“We ate, Liana. What do you think we did?”
“I don’t know. I was just curious.”
The teacher told us to get back to work.
“You doing anything after school?” I asked Liana as I worked.
“No, why?”
I was about to respond when the chemicals I was working with exploded. I jumped back and stared at the mess on the counter. “Whoops…”
Liana and I started to laugh hysterically. The students looked at us like we were crazy and the teacher asked us to go to the principle’s office.
As we walked down to the office, I looked at Liana. “Looks like we have something to do after school now.”
She was still laughing about the explosion. “What did you want to do?”
I scratched my head. “Um…. I don’t remember.” I laughed.
We reached the door to the principle’s office and looked at each other.
Liana knocked softly.
“Come in!” yelled the principle.
Liana walked in first. The principle groaned when he saw her. “You again? You were just in here the other day! How many--” He stopped and looked at me. “What are you doing here?”
I cleared my throat. “I got sent here.”
He shook his head. “I never thought I see you in here.” He gestured to the chairs. “Please sit down.” He folded his hands on his desk and looked at Liana. “What happened this time?”
Liana started to speak, but I stopped her. “You see, sir, Liana and I were working in chemistry and I accidentally mixed the chemicals wrong. It exploded and the whole darn thing was so funny that we couldn’t stop laughing.”
“Uh-huh….” He shook his head again. “Well, there’s not much I can do. There’s no rule against laughing in class, unless you’re disrupting it. It seems you weren’t, so I’ll let you go and you can go back to class.” He handed us a pass and went back to working on his computer.
We didn’t need another reason to leave. We bolted out the door and started laughing again. As we passed the math rooms we started to do tap dancing and “spirit fingers”. Going up the stairs we started singing “Lean on Me” at the top of our lungs. We didn’t care who heard us or if we got in trouble. We just wanted to live for the moment. This included Liana doing back flips down freshmen hall.
I gave her a hug. “Thanks for being the best friend anyone could ever have.”
She pulled away and stared at me. “A troublemaker like me?” She put her arm through mine and we walked down the hall. “No problem. It’s greatest thing in my life!”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I walked outside Ryan was waiting for me. He stood up straight from where he was leaning against his car. “Hey, babe!” He planted a quick kiss on my lips and led my to the car. “I need to talk to you.”
My stomach did a flip. Is this it? Are we over? I thought. I got into the car and sat silently in the passenger seat.
We didn’t speak for the whole trip. He only watched the road as we drove to a spot down back the lakeside.
I got out and sat cross-legged on the hood of his car.
He didn’t seem to mind. He just stood in front of me and stared into my eyes. Making me feel safe and comfortable. “Um, I have to talked to you about something.”
I felt tears start to sting the back of my eyes. “Please don’t leave me!”
He looked confused. “What are you talking about?”
“Isn’t that why you brought me here? To break up with me?”
“What?! Of course not! What ever gave you that idea?” He wrapped his arms around my shoulders. “I love you, Lee.”
“Then what are we doing here?”
He pulled away. “I… I got accepted to college.”
My stomach lurched. “Where?”
He sighed. “Strayer University…”
My heart sank. “But that’s in California.”
“I know,” he said sadly.
The tears started to flow. “You really are leaving me.”
“Lee… I’m sorry…. I would have gotten into a college here in Maine, but they were all full. There was nothing I could do.” He started to wrap his arms around me again, but I pushed him away.
“Just… Leave me alone….” I looked in his eyes again. “Please?” I slid off his car and started to walk down the road towards town.
“Lee!” he called after me.
I stopped and looked at him. “You know, I thought that my life was really starting to turn around. I thought that I was going to get the life I always wanted.” I shook my head. “Now I see it was all just a big, stupid lie…” I turned and kept walking even when he kept calling after me.
When I got home, which wasn’t easy since Ryan kept trying to get me to get in the car, my cell phone rang. It was Ryan. I ignored it. I didn’t want to talk to anyone. I just laid on my bed and cried.
It wasn’t even ten minutes later when my door opened. Liana appeared from behind it.
“What do you want?” I snapped.
She just raised an eyebrow at me.
I chucked a pillow at her. “I want to be left alone! Doesn’t anyone understand that?”
She dodged the pillow and grabbed my arm. “Get up!”
“Why should I?”
“You’re going to get up and we’re going to figure this out! I’m not going to let my best friend rot in her room sulking over a boy.” She pulled me to my feet. “Now get in that bathroom and wash your face! I’m going downstairs and you better be down there in five minutes. If you aren’t I’m going to come up here after you!”
I stared after her as she left. Heaving a sigh, I went into the bathroom, wondering what lies in store for me downstairs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Acinonyx Jubatus
Biro
Biro

Male Number of posts : 94
Writing forte/s : Science-fiction

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Night of My Life   Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:33 pm

Hey, I remember this from TW. By the way, it's back up now. I liked it there and I still do. I couldn't find aything wrong with it, or anything needing improvement. But don't go by just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/acinonyx_jubatus/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Night of My Life   

Back to top Go down

The Greatest Night of My Life
Page 1 of 1